The Friends' Bridge c. 1900

The Friends’ Bridge

Near the “Stone Barn” in Hemlock Gorge Reservation is a small stream that leads up to New Pond. In the industrial era of the Gorge, this was a holding pond where water for power was stored for use during dry periods.

At one time there was a z-shaped bridge that spanned this small stream, known as the Friends’ Bridge. It led from the foot of the “Devil’s Den” cave to the steep embankment on the opposite side of the river. The bridge enabled visitors easy access to some of the most attractive paths in the reservation. We believe that this bridge was constructed when the Reservation was a recreational area called Echo Bridge Park.

Ken Newcomb’s Walking Tour of Hemlock Gorge describes this period in the chapter From Fishing Ground to Park Land. The Bridge is also briefly mentioned in another chapter.

The Friends of Hemlock Gorge are hoping to reconstruct the Friends’ Bridge in the near future.

The project was spearheaded by Brian Yates, Hank Lysaght, and John Mordes.

Possible Plans

Site Plan
Friends' Bridge Site Plan
Preliminary Design Sketch
Friends' Bridge Preliminary Design Sketch

Articles On This Topic: