The Makers of the Mold
Kenneth W. Newcomb
6. The People
The vanguard of Governor Winthrop's Massachusetts Bay Company
arrived on the ship Arbella at Salem in June 1630. However, the
town did not suit Winthrop as a capital town for his Company and
after a week's search of the area, he selected Charlestown which
he thought would be a more satisfactory place. In 1629 it had a
population of about a hundred men, women and children. Winthrop
brought the Arbella down to Charlestown on a now very memorable
date, June 17, 1630. Soon a number of ships from England joined
him there. However, the town did not turn out to be the
prosperous place that Winthrop had been assured it to be; also
the drinking water came from a single spring that soon developed
a very brackish taste. With a population that had grown rapidly
to number 1500 people, its location was not only inadequate for
that number but unhealthy as well. As many as 80 people succumbed
from what is believed to be bad water and by the end of a very
hot summer in 1630 nearly 200 more had died, including some of
the more prominent leaders of the Company. This caused a number
to return to England but most began to search for better
locations to live. "Several score", including Sir
Richard Saltonstall, George Phillips and one of the ministers
went up the Charles River and settled Watertown. Others went to
Dorchester where passengers on the "Mary and John", one
of the first of Winthrop's fleet to reach this side (June 6,
1630) were already settled. About this time, across the Charles
on the peninsula then called "Shawmut", the Reverend
William Blaxton an Episcopal minister and learned recluse, who
lived as the sole resident in his cottage on the slope of Beacon
Hill, invited Winthrop to move over to Shawmut where a fine
spring was located. His invitation was accepted and the greater
part of the Company, with their minister, John Wilson, moved over
in the Arbella in October 1630 to a place he renamed Boston, in
honor of a city of the same name in Lincolnshire, England, from
which many of the leaders of the Company came.
However, not all followed Winthrop to Boston. A small band
located in Roxbury, others in Saugus (later changed to Lynn)
while Thomas Dudley, the deputy governor and Simon Bradstreet,
his son-in-law, and a few others established the town of
Cambridge in 1630-31 which was called "The Newe Towne".
A small number remained at Charlestown. Cambridge which later
became the parent township of Newton made several grants of land
in that part of their township, one in 1634 that included John
Haynes and Thomas Dudley. John Haynes later joined John
Winthrop's Company and his name can be found among the early
governors of the colony. The original holdings of Haynes and
Dudley included land in what is now Upper Falls.
While Newton's seal bears the date of 1630 as an indication of
the time of its founding, it would appear that this date is a bit
early as, in fact, the territory that is now Newton then belonged
to Watertown until about 1634 when it was granted to Cambridge.
Concord, founded in 1635, was the first inland settlement in the
13 colonies. Other towns, because they were located on the ocean
or had access to the sea, were founded earlier. Before the
arrival of Winthrop there were settlements in the general area
including Plymouth in 1620, Gloucester in 1623 and Salem in 1628.
For the first century or two after its settlement, Newton
appears to have been peopled by succeeding generations of the
original stock, those who were part of the early westward
migration from the coastal settlements. As most of Newton
remained rural in nature, these early farmer-settlers clung
Only with the industrial revolution that followed the
Revolutionary War did change take place, particularly in those
villages having access to the water power of the Charles River.
Upper Falls was the first village to awaken to this new day in a
new nation. Strangely enough, it was a sort of reverse migration
that flowed back into the village, attracted by its industrial
potential. Aside from a few financial backers from Boston, the
majority of the early residents "back tracked" to Upper
Falls from communities to the west such as Dover, West Dedham,
Foxboro and others. Among them were many notable descendants of
the first settlers of our nation. They were to dominate the local
population for the next half-century or so.
When the industries of this area began to develop in the early
days of the nineteenth century they demanded more and more
workers. This brought the skills of other Europeans to the
village. By the 1840s different religious and ethnic groups began
to emerge, as indicated by the fact the first Catholic Mass in
Newton was conducted here during that period. The first available
statistics that show changes in the nationalities of the people
in Newton were compiled in 1875. Of the 16,105 people who
inhabited the city that year, 4,205 were listed as foreign born
and the countries of their origin included Ireland, 2,619;
Canada, 688; England, 555; Wales, 95; other British possessions,
24; Germany, 81; Sweden and Norway, 34 and the balance from 13
By 1890 the city had grown to nearly 20,000 people, and racial
classification of its peoples as shown in the city directory of
the year previous shows 2,900 persons of Irish extraction, many
of them working in the mill villages, 1,275 who had come from the
Maritime Provinces of Canada, and 600 who were of English origin.
They, for the most part, found employment in the industries of
the city. It was not until the last decade of the nineteenth
century that immigration from southern and eastern Europe
increased so rapidly. It is therefore significant that while 96
Germans and 51 Swedes were among the city's residents, only five
Italians were recorded since most of their immigration took place
after the turn of the century. Two Chinese and a single Turk were
among 617 of various origins.
A racial mix was quite evident in the village of Newton Upper
Falls, as Mr.. McLaughlin observed:
|"After the potato famine in
Ireland, many Irish immigrants came to live in this area.
At first they worked on estates and as domestics, but
their children soon entered factories, offices and
At the end of the last century, workers from Poland, Lithuania
and Russia were in demand in the factories because of their
skill, strength and willingness to work at lower wages. Italian
laborers worked on construction jobs, such as building of the
Newton Water Works. These laborers were housed and fed in labor
camps by the contractors. At the conclusion of the contract, they
generally went to work on the local farms and soon owned homes,
farms and businesses of their own. There was an Armenian
settlement in Watertown, a few came to Upper Falls to live. Soon
French Canadian families lived in Upper Falls and worked in the
factories, but they later moved to Nonantum, the French section.
The melting pot of social intercourse and intermarriage has
fused the townspeople into a community minded group who cooperate
in many social and religious activities. For instance, in 1928
the twelve elected officers of the Newton Upper Falls Woman's
Club were from seven different national origins."
The following includes the author's concept of who might be
considered the early residents of the old Upper Falls village.
These are drawn from an area previously described in the chapter
entitled HISTORICAL, one considerably broader than that of the
village today. The information is taken from Jackson's and
Smith's histories as well as other sources:
- BEALE, GERSHAM - Bought five acres of land of
Joshua Fuller at Newton Upper Falls in 1712. Died 1723.
- BIXBY, JONATHAN - Supposedly the son of Joseph and
Sarah of Boxford. He married Rachel Hoborne in 1709 and
had his dwelling-house and farm at Newton Upper Falls,
the northwestern part, on the bank of the Charles River.
They had a daughter, Rachel, "and probably
others" * Jonathan died Nov. 2, 1714 but it is
recorded that a daughter, Hannah, was born April 30,
* As there was but one known Bixby homestead (a portion
of which is now located on Quinobequin Road) all the
Bixbys recorded here are considered to be one family.
Therefore, the above Jonathan must have had a son who was
the father of the Bixby recorded in the next entry.
- BIXBY, JONATHAN - Married Eunice, daughter of
Thomas Parker. They had Jonathan Sept. 24, 1774 and
Samuel Feb. 24, 1777 (who died Sept. 25, 1792). Eunice,
the first wife, died Apr. 28, 1777, age 30. Jonathan
married secondly Elizabeth Hammond in 1777. She died
April 10, 1830, age 81. Jonathan served as Selectman 1783
6 1784. He and his son (listed next) were original
proprietors of the South Burial Ground in 1802, and a
tomb within the cemetery bears the inscription
"Jonathan Sr., and Jonathan, Junrs- Tomb, Built AD
1806". A cast iron marker in front of the tomb with
a metal tag marked "Jonathan Bixby" indicates
service in the Revolutionary War. In included in a list
of the "Muster Roll of Nest Newton Company in the
Battle of Lexington" (Smith's History) is Private
Jonathan Bixby. His company "marched from Newton on
the 19th April, 1775; they marched twenty-eight miles and
were out four days."
Jonathan, Sr. purchased Turtle Island and land on the
Needham (Wellesley) side of the Charles River from his
father-in-law, Thomas Parker. He erected a rolling mill
on his land for the manufacture of scythes. Later, in
1783, he erected a new dam and sawmill on Turtle Island.
In 1799, however, he sold his property to the Newton Iron
Works Company, and in 1809 he .«.old his water
privilege: to General Simon Elliot. He died January 23,
- BIXBY, JONATHAN, JR. - Born Sept. 24, 1774. Very
little is known of "Junior". It is recorded
that he and Nathan Pettee jointly purchased a pew in the
First Baptist Church at Newton Centre. April 29, 1805.
Later he helped found the Second Baptist Church in Upper
Falls (see chapter CHURCHES) in 1832. Among the charter
members of this church were Lydia, Eunice, Eliza and
Angelina Bixby. Angelina appears to have been his
daughter-in-law (see next entry below) and the others
could represent his wife and daughters. Early fire
company records list as members Hiram (1825) Augustus
(1831) and Jonathan (1837 - after 1842 another Jonathan
appears but it is believed they are the same person.)
These three men were no doubt the sons of Jonathan Jr.
Jonathan Jr. died May 27, 1835.
- BIXBY, JONATHAN - Married Angelina - - (Born in
Thomaston, Maine) They had a son, Jonathan W., born
December 10, 1846 and died August 2, 1849 of "canker
- BIXBY, HIRAM - Married Esther Gardner (Born 1828
in Watertown) Hiram died April 4, 1838, age 31.
- CHENEY - The Cheneys were pioneer residents of the
village of Upper Falls. Their homestead was built in 1702
on what is now the southwest corner of Cheney and
Mechanic streets (see chapter OLD HOUSES AND BUILDINGS.
Descendants of this illustrious family are too numerous
to include them all here. Records indicate they married
into many early families in the town including Jacksons,
Wiswalls, Williams, Miricks, Hammonds, Woodwards,
Kenricks, Eddy, Bartletts. For background and special
reasons a few are included here. The original couple,
John and Martha Cheney settled in Roxbury prior to 1635
and moved to Newbury, Massachusetts in 1636. Their family
consisted of four sons and five daughters.
- CHENEY, JOHN - Grandson of John and Martha,
married Elizabeth ------- and moved to Upper Falls in
1702. They had four sons and one daughter. The first Wife
died in 1715. He married secondly Elizabeth Currig in
October 1717 and had a family of two sons and three
- CHENEY, JOSEPH - Grandson of John and Martha,
married Sarah Wiswall, daughter of Captain Noah Wiswall
who, along with John Ward, had laid out in 1687-1688 the
road from Cambridge to Upper Falls. Joseph Cheney
inherited some of his land when Sarah died in 1718.
Joseph had two sons and three daughters. He married his
second wife, Abigail - - - who died April 12, 1771, age
84. He served the town as Selectman in 1741.
- CHENEY, JAMES SR., - Grandson of John and Martha,
married Lydia Mirick in August 1732. They had three sons
(including Aaron shown next) and three daughters.
Daughter Elizabeth married Isaac Williams in 1765, James,
Sr. died February 3, 1746, age 61. Wife died November 23,
1766, age 64. James built his home in 1732 at the end of
Mechanic Street which then extended to the river. The
house was between the road and South Meadow Brook. Son
Aaron inherited the homestead which he in turn left to
his nephew, Asa Williams.
- CHENEY, AARON - Son of James Sr., married
Thankful, daughter of Stephen White in November 1767.
They had one son, Amos, born September 18, 1771 and died
in 1792, age 21. Aaron died October 3, 1814, age 80. His
wife died in 1817. It is recorded that Aaron, in his
will, gave Southwest School District "one hundred
dollars, to be kept as a fund forever; the interest to be
expended annually, to wards teaching young people in the
summer." However, for some reason, we found that
there is no such will filed in the Middlesex Probate
Court, Cambridge. He is considered to have died
- CHENEY, GENERAL EBENEZER - Grandson of Joseph,
married Elizabeth - - - , They had a son and daughter.
Married second wife, Abigail Wood. Had three sons, seven
daughters. General Cheney was a very influential citizen
of the community and of the state. He was a
representative to the General Court for five years, from
1812 to 1817. He died in 1853 at the age of 94. He fought
in the Revolutionary War.
- CLARK, JOHN - Born in Watertown October 13, 1641
and died in 1695. His father, Hugh Clark, conveyed to him
by deed of gift in 1681, 67 acres of land on the east
side of Centre Street at the Common (Newton Centre) where
he built a house. He built a sawmill at the Upper Falls
on the Charles River and owned land adjoining. The eight
acres of land on the river with the sawmill was appraised
at 180 pounds.
- CLARK, JOHN JR. - Conveyed to his brother William
35 acres of land bounded south".". by Stephen
Winchester, north by Ebenezer Woodward, east by the
highway to Lower Falls and west of land of William Clark.
(This indicates the wide extent of the village in the
early days). John, Jr. had four sons and two daughters.
He served the town as Selectman in 1722. He died in 1730
at the age of 50.
- CLARK, WILLIAM - Son of John, Sr. William conveyed
to Noah Parker in 1725 seven acres of land bounded west
by the river, east and south by land of his own and north
by Gersham Beale; also one-fourth part of mills, stream
and dam at Upper Falls. His dwelling place was burned
March 18, 1729. William had three sons and four
daughters. He died in 1737, age 51.
- CLARK, CAPTAIN JOHN - Son of John, Jr. Married
Hannah Cuttin of Watertown in 1734 and built his home on
the north side of the village, on Sherburne Road
(Woodward Street). They had four sons and eight
daughters. He was Selectman in 1746, 1747 and 1758;
Representative to the General Court in 1758, 1759 and
1760. The family later moved to Waltham. John died there
in 1773, age 73.
- CLARK, WILLIAM, JR. - Married Mary Marean in 1740
and built his home near that of his cousin, Captain John.
They had six sons and two daughters. His wife died in
1787, age 73.
The Clark heirs are too numerous to mention them all
here. Many moved to other locations in the state, but
their in influence in Upper Falls in the early days was
- COLLINS, MATTHIAS - Son of Matthias Collins of
Marblehead, married daughter of Ebenezer Davis of
Brookline. They had one son also called Matthias.
Matthias Sr. came to Newton in 1778, buying 100 acres of
land from Joseph Craft. This was adjoining John
Woodward's farm. He died in 1785. His wife died in 1819
at the age of 85.
- COLLINS, MATTHIAS, JR - (believed to have been
known as Matthias II) Married Hannah, daughter of Edward
Jackson in November, 1798. They had five sons and three
daughters. Two of the sons, Frederick A. and Edward J.,
became very successful local business men and built
impressive homes on the old Sherburne Road (Beacon
Street). The F.A. Collins home, built between 1825 and
1831, is still standing at 1734 Beacon Street. Members of
the Collins family were noted for their service to the
community and for their involvement in many enterprises
in Upper Falls.
- COOK(E), ASA - son of Jonathan, Jr., married
Roxanna - - - . Had one son, Aaron, born November 26,
1824 and died in 1850 at the age of 26. Asa was born June
3, 1797. He was believed to be a descendant of Gregory
Cooke, an early settler of Newton (1688). Asa's home was
at the junction of the present Elliot, Woodward and
Boylston streets. It was formerly known as the Bacon
Tavern (?). The building has since been demolished and
replaced by a smaller home.
- DAVENPORT, JOSEPH - First of this pioneer family
to live in Newton (Lower Falls). His father, John, (died
1725) and his grandfather, Thomas, (died 1685) were early
settlers in that part of Dorchester, now Milton. Joseph
was a clothier and settled in Newton about 1731 "on
the right of the road leading to Upper Falls." He
married Sarah Ware, daughter of Ebenezer Ware of Needham,
and they had four sons and three daughters. He died March
- DAVENPORT, BENJAMIN, SR. - Son of Joseph. He was
born in Newton June 16, 1743. He married Sarah Wilson and
they lived "opposite the old poorhouse" (site
of the present Angier School). He later lived in Needham
where he died December 28, 1833.
- DAVENPORT, JOSEPH - Son of Benjamin, Sr., was born
August 18, 1773. He lived in Newton Upper Falls but later
moved to Carnbridge where he died May 28, 1849. It was
his home, which once stood at 969-971 Chestnut Street,
that was destroyed by fire July 25, 1843.
- DAVENPORT, BENJAMIN, JR. - Son of Benjamin, Sr.
Born March 27, 1786. Died June 27, 1862. He and his wife,
Mehitable, are buried in South Burial Ground on
Winchester Street and this record is taken from their
headstone. Jackson's History says a Benjamin Davenport
married Mehitable Beard in 1811. The headstone records
Mehitable as born in 1789 and died March 26, 1826.
- DAVENPORT, ENOCH - Gravestone of Enoch and his
wife, Priscilla (spelled Prescilla on headstone), was
also found in "Upper Falls" cemetery on
Winchester Street. Jackson's History says he was the son
of Joseph. He and his wife Priscilla (Parker) had seven
sons and one daughter. He was born June 25, 1741-1744,
died June 21, 1803. She was born November 20, 1749 and
died December 14, 1835 (Jackson says 1837).
- DOLBEAR, BENJAMIN - "Lived near the Upper
Falls." He was supposedly the son of Benjamin and
Hannah Dolbear of Boston. Benjamin, Jr. married Hepsibah
- - - and they had sons, James, born November 5, 1760 and
Timothy, born March 24, 1762.
- ELLIOT, SIMON - from Boston. He was a tobacconist.
In 1778 he bought from Thomas Parker all of his mills and
about 35 acres of land including the dwelling house,
barn, malthouse, and other buildings at Newton Upper
Falls for 1,700 pounds. In 1782 he constructed a snuff
mill and during the next twelve years, three more; also a
grist mill and a nail factory. It is also recorded that
he bought considerable land on both sides of the river
and that he left an estate in 1794 valued at 15,000
- ELLIOT, GENERAL SIMON - Simon's son received his
military title for service in the state militia. General
Elliot carried on his father's business until 1814 when
it was acquired by his brother-in-law, Thomas Handasyd
Perkins. At that time the plant included four snuff
mills, a wire mill, a screw factory, a blacksmith shop,
an annealing house and a grist mill with water rights;
also a farm and buildings built by General Elliot.
- ELLIS, RUFUS - born in West Dedham March 13, 1777.
He came to Newton Upper Falls in 1799 to be the
superintendent of the Newton Iron Works Company, which he
later owned along with other industries in the Lower
Boylston Street area. He lived at the present 1235
Boylston Street and he died on July 2, 1859 at the age of
- EVERETT - The Everett family was another very
prominent family in the village who moved here from
Foxboro although they had earlier resided in Dedham. The
Everetts originally emigrated from England about 1634-35,
briefly residing in Watertown before moving to Dedham.
They moved to Upper Falls to take advantage of the
opportunities for employment in the Elliot Manufacturing
Company built by the Perkins brothers in 1823, where Otis
Pettee of Foxboro had become its superintendent. Otis
Pettee's oldest sister, Abigail Caswell Pettee, had
married Joseph Everett of Foxboro and their son,
Nathaniel Ware Everett, born November 18, 1810 at
Foxboro, later came to Upper Falls where he met Deborah
Ann Winslow. They were married here on January 25, 1849.
This marriage brought together three of the more
prominent families of the village. The Everetts built or
moved into the house that is now 16-20 Winter Street.
Nathaniel was a 'pattern maker' in the foundry of the
Elliot Manufacturing Company.
|Four generations of the Elder Family.
Nathaniel Elder (R), his daughter Abby (L), her son Frank
(Center) and his son and daughter, taken in front of 58
High Street, Newton Upper Falls.
EVERETT, JOSEPH CASWELL - older brother of Nathaniel,
came to Upper Falls about 1823 and he became the eventual builder
and occupant of the Queen Ann style house at 336 Elliot Street.
He was employed as a carpenter at the Elliot Mfg. Co. Joseph was
born August 23, 1796 at Foxboro and he died at Upper Falls, Oct.
30, 1861. On April 10, 1825 he married Mary Warren, at
- EVERETT, WARREN PETTEE - Joseph and Mary Everett
had four children, three girls, Mary Caswell, Caroline
Elizabeth and Lucy Annah. Also a son, Warren Pettee
Everett. Joseph was active in town affairs, serving
Newton as a selectman and as a member of the school
|Warren Pettee Everett during the Civil
War, in the uniform of Newton Co. B, 44th regiment
- EVERETT, CYRUS - Brother of Joseph and Nathaniel,
was born Nov. 25, 1800 at Foxboro. He also came to Upper
Falls about 1823 and while it is known he owned property
on High Street in 1837 the location of his residence is
unknown. He married Hannah Dean of Dedham June 11, 1826
and they had seven children, the first three dying very
young. They are buried in the Upper Falls-Oak Hill
cemetery (South Burial Ground); as are their parents. The
four remaining children, all girls, Mary, Hannah,
Georgianna and Harriet presumably remained in Upper
Joseph and his brothers were of the seventh generation in
this country. A cousin, Edward Everett, became an
outstanding national figure. He often visited here in
Upper Falls and would have a very effective influence on
some of the members of the Everett family. See
bibliography of the family.
- ELLIS, DAVID - older brother of Rufus, also born
at West Dedham on June 21, 1765. He was part owner with
his brother in some of his enterprises. He died November
24, 1846, age 81.
Note; Some Ellis heirs remained in the village as
merchants or in other occupations, while others left to
become very well known as Unitarian ministers.
- FULLER, COLONEL NATHAN - son of Thomas Fuller and
a member of the illustrious Fuller family of Newton. He
married Beulah, daughter of Moses Craft, July 4, 1763.
They had no children. He served in the Revolutionary War,
entering the army as Captain at Cambridge (Twenty-two
Fuller descendants went into the Revolutionary army from
Newton). Colonel Nathan was a Representative to the
General Court in 1794. In 1781 he gave one and a half
acres of land to the West Parish (West Newton) for a
"burying place." Smith's History says at one
time he ran a tavern in his home on the old Sherburne
Road (Woodward Street). He died September 21, 1822 at age
81. His wife died November 16, 1818. His nephew, Benjamin
Fuller, inherited the estate.
- GREENE, JONATHAN - A carpenter, he came to Newton
from Malden in 1697 and "lived near the Falls."
He married Mary - - - and they had one son and two
daughters. Jonathan died in 1736 and his wife in 1732.
- HAMMOND, JOHN - son of Thomas and Mehitable
Hammond, married Margaret Wilson December 11, 1718. He
bought 370 acres of the Governor Haynes Farm from
Reverend Jared Eliot in 1746 and built his house at
approximately the corner of the present Centre and
Boylston streets. He died in 1763 at age 67. His wife
died in 1788. His son, Enoch, inherited the homestead.
Later owners included John Marean (who married Enoch's
sister, Abigail). Marean operated the home as a tavern as
did later owner, Edward Mitchell.
- HAMMOND, DANIEL - son of John, married Lucy Jones
in 1751. They had four sons and four daughters. He built
his home at the corner of the present Curtis and
Winchester streets. He died in 1777, age 50.
- HYDE, ELEAZER - son of Jonathan, Sr., a very
influential citizen of Newton who came here from
Cambridge Village in 1647. Jonathan had 21 children of
which Eleazer was the 11th. Eleazer married Hannah,
daughter of Job Hyde. They had one son and two daughters.
His estate went to his son, Eleazer. The homestead, built
between 1720 and 1730, is still standing although
considerably altered. It is located at 401 Woodward
Street (Old Sherburne Road).
- KENRICK, JOHN - Born in England, 1605. In 1658 he
purchased 250 acres of land on what was later the south
side of old Upper Falls village. He had two sons and a
daughter. His son, John, inherited "his dwelling
house, barn and out houses, and all his lands and estate,
not disposed of in his will." The house was near the
bridge crossing the Charles River called Kenrick's
Bridge. John, Sr. died August 29, 1686.
The descendants of John Kenrick are too numerous to be
included here. His great-grandson Benjamin Kenrick, had a
daughter, Anna, who, in 1789, married General Benjamin
Pierce, a Revolutionary.War officer. Their son, Franklin,
became the 14th President of the United States.
- KENRICK, CAPTAIN CALEB - Grandson of John Kenrick,
Sr., married Abigail Bowen of Roxbury in 1721. He took
the west part of the homestead and built his house on the
north side of the present Nahaton Street (near the
river). They had four sons and four daughters. He was
Selectman for five years. He died March 1771, age 77 and
his wife died September 1775.
- LONGLEY, NATHANIEL - Came to Newton about 1700.
His house was near Institution Hill, Newton Centre. In
1725 he bought mill property and privileges at Upper
Falls from Nathaniel Parker and William Clark. He died in
- MAREAN, WILLIAM - Moved from Roxbury to Newton and
lived near Kenrick's Bridge. He and his wife, Elizabeth
(C!ark), had three sons. He died in l761, age 83. His
wife died in 1747. They had many descendants including
grandson, Lieutenant John Marean who was a lieutenant of
a company of Minute Men in the battle at Concord April
19, 1775. He afterward kept a tavern (Marean's), later
called Mitchell's, near the old cemetery on Winchester
Street. He died February 1, 1786, age 47. His widow,
Abigail, married Captain Edward Fuller in 1789. She died
May, 1826, age 85.
- MITCHELL, EDWARD - A carpenter from Brookline. He
kept a tavern, formerly Marean's, at the south part of
town near the old cemetery on Winchester Street. He and
his wife, Elizabeth - - - had four daughters. He died
September 1807, age 48. His wife died September 2, 1827,
Members of the Parker family listed below are but a few of
this illustrious pioneer
family. These representatives are those who lived in or had
involvement with the village of Upper Falls. See Franklin P.
Parker, Some Descendants Of Samuel Parker of Dedham,
- PARKER, NATHANIEL - Married Margaret, daughter of
Captain Noah Wiswall, and settled on part of the Wiswall
land. In 1694 bought the house and land of Lieutenant
Ebenezer Wiswall. They had two sons, Noah and Caleb. His
wife, Margaret, died July 30, 1736. He married secondly,
widow Mary (Marett) Hovey of Cambridge in December, 1736.
In 1708 Nathaniel purchased of John Clark one-quarter of
sawmill, stream, eel-weir and half an acre of land at
Upper Falls for 12 pounds, and in 1717 another quarter of
the same with an acre and a half of land for 45 pounds.
He was born March 26, 1670 and died February 28, 1747,
age 77. His second wife died September 10, 1758.
- PARKER, NOAH - (son of Nathaniel): Married Sarah
Cummings of Tyngsboro April 21, 1715 and settled in
Newton Upper Falls. He received from his father by deed
of gift, in 1725, half the sawmill and grist mill at
Upper Falls along with the land. The same year he
purchased from William Clark one-quarter of the same
mills and seven acres of adjoining land for 95 pounds;
and at the same time purchased from Nathaniel Longley the
remaining quarter part of the same mills. Thus he became,
in 1725, the sole owner of the first and oldest mills on
the Charles River, including the dam, stream rights and
eel-weirs. He had five sons and two daughters. He died
March 18, 1768, age 74. His wife died September 10, 1758.
Their grandson, John Parker, became president of the
former United States Branch Bank and was one of the
foremost citizens of Boston.
- PARKER, THOMAS - Son of Noah. Married Eunice
Hammond in 1741. They had eight sons and five daughters.
Daughter Eunice married Jonathan Bixby, Priscilla married
Enoch Davenport in 1771 and Sarah married Ithamar Ward.
Thomas Parker was a Selectman and Representative for six
years, from 1777. As a member of the Massachusetts
Provincial Congress he helped write the first state
constitution in 1780. He was a strong supporter of the
Baptist faith and often preached at their services. He
died March 27, 1812, age 91. His wife also died in 1812.
- PETTEE, Samuel - Owned house and 100 acres of land
(1707) in the vicinity of Winchester Street. (Name also
spelled Petee.). Background on OTIS PETTEE and family may
be found under chapter BIOGRAPHIES.
- STAPLES, DEACON JOHN - Married Mary Craft July 24,
1690 and settled in what became the north section of old
Upper Falls village. He built a modest home there in 1688
(a portion of which still stands, incorporated later into
a larger structure) on the old Sherburne Road, now 1615
Beacon Street. John was a weaver by trade but became
Newton's first school master. He was a Selectman for
eight years, from 1701 to 1709 and Town Clerk for
twenty-one years, from 1714 to 1734. He died November 4,
1740, age 82. His estate was left to Moses Craft(s), a
relative of his wife who had lived with the Staples
family. Mr. Crafts, an outstanding citizen, left many
- TOLMAN, THOMAS -A shoemaker. Married Betsy Bixby
in 1795 and lived in Upper Falls. (No record of Betsy
Bixby being a member of the Upper Falls "Bixbys').
His homestead was located on Prospect Hill on land later
acquired by Otis Pettee. His name appears on the
"Alarms" list of older men who fought in the
"Battle of Lexington, April 19, 1775." Also was
one of the founders and member of the First Baptist
Church in 1780.
- WILLIAMS, ASA - Inherited and occupied the old
James Cheney, Sr. homestead located in the vicinity of
the present Williams Street. Asa was the nephew of Aaron
Cheney, who had previously inherited the home from his
father, James, Sr. Asa was born June 7, 1773 and his
headstone in the Winchester Street cemetery indicates
that he died January 7, 1850. Jackson's History shows an
Asa Williams who married Amelia Warren in 1812. An 1831
map shows an "A, Williams" house at the above
mentioned location. An 1855 map shows a house somewhat in
the same area, the property owned by a Mrs. E. Williams;
1874 map, Mrs. Elizabeth Williams.
- WINCHESTER, STEPHEN - Purchased land and built his
home in Newton about 1720. It was located in the
southeast part of old Upper Falls village in the vicinity
of the present street that bears his name. He married
Hannah - - - and they had three sons and one daughter. In
1750 he and his wife conveyed to their son, Stephen, 57
acres of land with the mansion house and barn, south to
land of William Marean, east by John Hammond, west by
widow Lydia Cheney and north by his own land. The elder
Stephen died September 6, 1751, age 65. His wife, Hannah,
died in 1758. Their son, Stephen, Jr., appears to have
received the bulk of the estate.
One of his sons, Amasa, among other things, received from
his father "all his lands in Newton and
Needham." Amasa, a provision merchant in Boston,
married Sally, daughter of Colonel Josiah Fuller in May,
1800. They had three sons and one daughter. While living
in Newton Amasa gave land to the town on Elliot Street
for a school,'in the--Southwest District and also for the
extension of the South Burial Ground on Winchester
Street. He later moved to Boston. He died December 18,
1846 at the age of 72.
- WOODWARD, JOHN - He was a weaver, the son of
George and Elizabeth (Hammond) Woodward of Watertown.
Grandson of Richard Woodward who came here from England
in 1634. His father-in-law, Richard Robbins of Cambridge,
conveyed to him and his wife, Rebecca, 30 acres of land
in Cambridge Village near Upper Falls, bounded south by
the Charles River, north by the way leading to Lower
Falls and east by the land of Esquire Pelham. In 1681 he
built a dwelling-house on this tract which is still
standing and was occupied by his descendants for many
years. He was born March 28, 1649 and died November 3,
1732 at the age of 83. His wife died in 1696.
No record of their numerous offspring and descendants is
recorded here because of space requirements, except for
Daniel, son of John who married Elizabeth Greely, January
27, 1704 and who built their home about that time
northwest of the family homestead on the old Sherburne
Road (now Beacon Street). They had two sons and three
daughters. He was a Selectman for three years. He died in
1749, age 68. She died in 1750.
The Woodwards were a strongly religious family yet were
extremely patriotic citizens. Deacon John (born 1724 - died 1801)
was the moderator of the town meeting in 1776 that passed the
unanimous vote requesting Congress to declare the Colonies
independent. He was in the battle of Concord and loaned the town
100 pounds to pay the soldiers in 1777. Samuel Woodward was also
in the battle at Concord as well as Dorchester Heights. He, too,
loaned the town money (120 pounds) in 1777 to pay the soldiers.
The large Woodward farm was included in the village of Upper
Falls in the early days. Some of it was in the present village
area. This was the property known by many as Pierce's Woods (now
Eliot Hill). It was sold by E. Woodward to William Pierce in the
1880s as indicated by this news item appearing July 2, 1881:
|"At the Upper Falls, the estate
of the late Deacon Ebenezer Woodward has been purchased
by a Boston gentleman of the name of Pierce, who intends
to erect upon it a residence for himself, and also from
time to time to sell lots to other parties for similar
Because of the many references to members of the medical and
dental profession that appeared in our research of the village's
early history, we are including some information regarding them
here. It is interesting to note that of the ten doctors
practicing in Boston in 1721 only one was an M.D., and only about
400 of the 3,500 colonial physicians in 1776 had medical degrees.
The first physician of record in Newton is Dr. JOHN STAPLES
CRAFTS - He was the son of Moses Crafts who settled in this area
in 1729. Mr. Staples was a benefactor to Dr. Crafts and it was in
honor of Newton's first schoolmaster that Moses Crafts named his
son. Other physicians who appeared later are:
- DR. EBENEZER STARR - Born in Weston, August 24, 1768,
died August 24, 1830. Settled in Lower Falls as a doctor
in 1790. Prior to 1824 he was the principal physician at
Newton Upper Falls.
- DR. ALFRED HOSMER - Born in Walpole, New Hampshire,
November 7, 1802. He graduated from Harvard Medical
School in 1828 and practiced in Newton Upper Falls until
his death on November 27, 1837. He seldom rode in a
carriage, making all his calls on horseback.
- DR. SAMUEL S. WHITNEY - Took over the practice of Dr.
Hosmer in Upper Falls and remained here for six years
before moving to Dedham in 1844. He was considered an
outstanding surgeon. He taught school before he was
fifteen years old, being very fluent in the speaking of
Hebrew. It was he who built the imposing home, in about
1838, which is now known as the St. Elizabeth Center at
260 Elliot Street.
- DR. WILLIAM REED - Settled in Newton Upper Falls in 1836,
practicing here a year before moving to Boston.
- DR. - - MOORE - Practiced in Newton Upper Falls in the
years 1841-43. (From Clarke's History of Needham).
- DR. STEPHEN HODGEMAN SPAULDING - Born in Chelmsford,
Massachusetts August 4, 1787, died in South Natick, July,
1866. In 1841 he moved to Upper Falls and worked in
association with his son-in-law, Dr. Samuel S. Whitney.
In 1843 his house and stable on Chestnut Street (near
Summer) was destroyed by fire and he moved to Reading,
- DR. ABRAHAM D. DEARBORN(E) - Bought Dr. Whitney's
practice and his home and settled in Newton Upper Falls
in 1844. He was very active in community affairs and
served on the school committee of the town during its
vital formative years. He moved from the village in 1854
- DR. WILLIAM F. TEULON - Dr. Teulon, of Huguenot ancestry,
was born in London in 1803, moved to Newfoundland where
he lived nine years and where he conducted his practice
until he moved to Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1838. He later
moved to Boston where in addition to continuing his
practice he delivered scientific lectures. He moved to
Newton Upper Falls in 1847 where, besides practicing his
profession, he preached the gospel according to the
Universalist faith (see CHURCHES).
Subsequently, he moved to Newtonville and finally to
Newton where he resided 25 years until his death on
Christmas Day, 1884. He left a wife and three children.
- DR, JOSEPH HUCKINS WARREN - Resided on Elliot Street
(#344). From Hurd's History of Middlesex County comes the
"Dr. Joseph Huckins Warren was born in Effingham,
New Hampshire on December 2, 1831, the son of Joseph and
Caroline E. (Huckins) Warren. He was a grandson of
General James Warren of Revolutionary War fame and
great-grandson of Captain John Warren, an officer in the
French and Indian War. Dr. Warren's maternal ancestors
were in line of descent from the Duchess of Marlboro. The
doctor graduated from Bowdoin College Medical School in
Brunswick, Maine in 1853. He married Caroline Elizabeth
Everett of Newton Upper Falls, September 24, 1854. Miss
Everett was the daughter of Joseph C. and Mary Everett.
The couple had two children, a daughter, Mary E., who
died young and a son, Charles Everett Warren, who also
became a physician. After graduating from Bowdoin
College, Dr. Warren began his practice in Upper Falls,
practicing here for three years. During this time he was
elected as a member of Newton's school board. However, a
breakdown in health curtailed his activities and he moved
to Dorchester. During the Civil War he was commissioned
as a surgeon by President Lincoln. He served with
distinction in several areas, part of the time in
Washington. During his residence there he had special
opportunities to see President Lincoln as he was assigned
to be his personal physician. It was he who arranged to
have the eminent author, Nathaniel Hawthorne, meet Mr.
Lincoln, a visit that was to have a profound effect upon
Hurd's History of Middlesex County gives this account of
'Mr. Hawthorne was a Friend in his aversion to force
...his sensitive and peace-loving spirit was overcome by
the horrors of war, and he fell into a state of great
distress. Dr. Warren, in the hope that an interview with
Mr. Lincoln would tend to restore Mr. Hawthorne's
confidence in the future of his country took him to the
White House on one of his professional evening calls. It
seemed at first an unfortunate moment. Mr. Lincoln was
greatly agitated by the discovery of treachery in an
unexpected quarter, and told his visitors that he was
overcome by difficulties, not knowing who were friends
and who were traitors, his burden in public life, failing
strength and domestic sorrows being beyond his strength.
To this Mr. Hawthorne replied by a few words of sympathy
and encouragement, and, finding these of little avail,
knelt and offered a prayer...
As they rose, Mr. Lincoln said to him, with strong
emotion, 'Mr. Hawthorne, God sent you here in my darkest
hour. Now I am strong. He placed me here and I know that
He will sustain me to the end.' From that time all undue
anxiety seemed to disappear, and Mr. Lincoln, by his
decision, firmness and undoubting belief in his position
as the servant of the Lord, inspired strength and courage
in all who approached him."
- DR. JAMES H. GRANT - Graduated from Bowdoin in 1856 and
came to Newton Upper Falls as a successor to Dr.
Dearborn. He seemed to be a very popular physician,
taking part in many community affairs and served the
village for many years. He was postmaster twice
(1857-1861, 1866-1869). A "personal" note in
the newspaper of December 9, 1883 says that "Dr.
Grant, formerly and for a long time a regular
practitioner in this village and vicinity, but now
residing in Lancaster, N.H., is making a short visit...
among his old friends and patrons." Clarke, in his
history of Needham says Dr. Grant came to that town to
"pass his declining years." He died December
- DR. AUGUSTUS WENTWORTH - Practiced in Upper Falls
sometime in the 1840s, as indicated by a record of fire
in his home on Chestnut Street on January 11, 1849.
- DR. J. F. HIGGINS - Settled in Newton Upper Falls in 1854
or 1855, practicing here for five or six years prior to
- DR. WILLIAM HARTNELL HILDRETH - Born April 19, 1843.
Graduated from Dartmouth College. Came to Newton Upper
Falls from Fitchburg in 1874. Was a surgeon in the
military. His office was located at 65 High Street.
- DR. EBEN THOMPSON - Here was a physician who seemed to
have been very popular in the village of Upper Falls as
well as in the entire city. A series of newspaper items
will serve to cover his career here. The first, of March
"Dr. Eben Thompson has returned to this place having
taken rooms in the old 'Tavern' building, on Boylston
Street, where he can be found when not visiting his
patients. We wish success to him and hope his practice
will assume such magnitude as to render him a permanent
resident among us."
And this item in December 1883 as he sought a second term
as a member of the Common Council of the city:
"Dr. Eben Thompson was born at North Danville, Vt.,
August 7, 1848. He graduated from Dartmouth College in
1871, and was subsequently principal of Philips Academy
at Danville. He also taught school for several terms at
Antrim, N.H. and in the home of Richard B. Daly, whose
daughter later married Dr. McEwen.
Hurd's History of Middlesex County provides this
thumb-nail sketch of Dr. McOwen:
"William Henry McOwen, M.D., son of Timothy McOwen.
Born in Lowell, March 5, 1860. Graduated from Harvard
Medical School and settled in Lowell, July 1883. Moved to
Newton Upper Falls in July, 1885. On June 30, 1888 he was
married to Miss Ellen Theresa Daly of Newton."
His father-in-law, Richard Daly, was a machinist who
became a superintendent of the Pettee Machine Works.
Later he resigned this position and became superintendent
of the Whitin Machine Co. in Whitinsville. Sometime after
his marriage Dr. McOwen purchased the beautiful Newell
home on Elliot Street, now known as the St. Elizabeth
- DR. CHARLES A. THOMPSON, SR. - Dr. Thompson was born in
Upper Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada on April 10, 1872.
After graduating from Mt. Allison College, he came to
this country to attend the Baltimore School of Physicians
and Surgeons (afterward the University of Maryland) and
later completed his studies at the Harvard Medical School
and Boston City Hospital. He married Francena Louise
Noyes in 1909. They had six children, three boys and
three girls: Charles, Jr., who became an M.D.; Louis
Bradford, a surgeon and his twin brother, H. Allison, a
dentist; Martha Alberta (Mrs. Stephen H. Hartley), a
medical secretary; Catherine Louise (Mrs. Edward L. Fay),
a medical social worker; and Mrs. Alice Janet Hatch, a
Dr. Thompson commenced practice in Newton Upper Falls in
1897 and for a brief time had an office and apartment in
Prospect Block before taking over the house and practice
on Oak Street of Dr. Eben Thompson (no relation) early in
1898. He continued an office here and in Newton Highlands
until 1930 when he discontinued his Newton Upper Falls
office. He maintained an office at Newton Highlands until
he died February 3, 1940 at the age of 67. He was the
attending physician at the Stone Institute for 40 years.
(His son, Charles Jr., continued in that capacity there
until June 15, 1990) Charles Sr. was also the physician
of the Gamewell Company for many years. His hobby was the
training and racing of horses (sulky races), and he was a
long time member of the old Metropolitan Driving Club
which was once located in Brighton.
During the last 50 years there have been an additional number
of able physicians who have served Upper Falls and vicinity.
Among those no longer here would be Doctors Warren F. Hoey (who
was succeeded by Carroll Gillespie), Winchester Everett, David
York, Charles Badia and Eugene Gandolfo. Those more recently
practicing as doctors in the community are Leo U. Zambon, Joseph
R. Cotter and Carl Levison.
The above rounds out the list of distinguished physicians who
have served this area over the past two centuries. We can only
extend our list of dentists to those who have had offices in
Newton Upper Falls back to 1845. In the chapter of this book
dealing with our churches you will note that A. S. Dudley,
"a dentist by profession," also supplied the pulpit of
the Universalist Church that existed here for a short time. No
others are recorded until the turn of the century when Dr. J.
Douglas Thompson (brother of Dr. Charles Thompson) practiced here
for a brief time from an office in Prospect Block. Later, three
other dentists commenced their practices here, Doctors John King,
Charles Crowley and the long-known and highly regarded Walter
Billings. Both Dr. King and Dr. Billings had offices in the
Prospect Block; Dr. Billings later moving to an office in his
home on Indiana Terrace. Dr. Crowley had his office in his
residence on High Street.
For historical as well as genealogical purposes, we are
including in this section a list of persons who were founders and
early members of various religious organizations in Upper Falls
in the early nineteenth century. Included also are a few from the
Needham side of the river, but the majority were residents of the
old village. Later, in the recording of the history of our local
fire department, there will be found additional names of early
Upper Falls residents.
Some duplications will be found in the following lists.
First, those who comprised the Methodist "class"
first organized in 1826:
|Marshall S. Rice
Mary A. Morse
Members who organized the Upper Falls Religious Society in
Bacon, Silas, Jr.
Clark, Nathaniel 2nd
Davenport, Benj. Jr.
Morse, Amos H.
Sturtevant, M. P.
Winsor, George W.
Wiswall, William 2nd
The above and the following 109 members comprised the total
males in the congregation for the period 1828-1833. Names of
female members are not available.
Bowker, Elliot A.
Boynton, Richard, Jr.
Britt, Samuel G.
Cheney, Jefferson W.
Clark, William E.
Everett, Joseph C.
Eager, Moses E.
|Graves, Moses J
Gray, William S.
Hersey, Elijah, Jr.
Henderson, Fred. A.
Hawes, Eliab M.
Hawes, Amos B. S
Langley, Thomas J.
Livermore, Joseph T.
Morse, George M.
Nicholson, John, Jr
Newell, Artemas, Jr.
Pettee, Charles F.
Parker, Rev. John
Henry Sherman, James M.
Sherman, James M.
Skinner John L.
Turner, Nathaniel D.
Wetherill, Throop B.
Weston, Thomas P.
White, Barney L.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church was organized from the
above Upper Falls Religious Society members in 1832. The number
of such members is given at 53 but their names are not available.
Musicians and choir members of the Religious Society for the
period 1828-32 comprised the following:
|George Morse, Leader
Alfred Bridges, Bugle
Artemas Newell, Bass Viol
Jess Winslow, Clarionet
|Miss Eliza Bartlett
Miss Eliza Clapp
Miss Silence Clark
Miss Nancy Ellis
Miss Charlotte Plimpton
William E. Clarke
The following 11 men began the Baptist church
organization in 1832 at Newton Upper Falls by the paying of
|Ira N. Bullen
John Bullough Jr.
Asa F. Smith*
Martin P. Sturtevant
Also included in the list that follows.
The 55 members (presumably from Newton Upper Falls) who left
the First Baptist Church in Newton Centre to form the Second
Baptist Church at Upper Falls in 1835:
|Ira N. Baptams
Eliza H. Bixby
Levina R. Bullens
Mary S. Cheney
Abigail B. Clapp
Nancy L. Gardner
Elizabeth E. Keyes
Francis T. Keyes
Mary Ann Keyes Eliza Kingsbury
Sarah S. Kingsbury
Martha F. Newhall
Charlotte H. Smith
Betsey S. Smith
Cleora F. Smith
Martha H. Taylor
The Universalist Church on High Street was founded in 1841-42
by the following men:
George W. Keyes
|William H. Nichols
Levis H. Partridge
Samuel P. Skinner
The leading laymen of the St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church
(the first church of that faith in Newton) in the years 1843-1868
|James Cahill (son of Edward)
The Church of Yahweh (Second Adventist) was formed in 1886 on
Mr. Luther T. Cunningham's property on Boylston Street, and was
comprised mainly of three families: the Cunninghams, the Pipers
and the Adamses. (See under
In Smith's history there are listed the freeholders in Newton
in 1798 with their estates and valuations. Altogether there are
200 houses shown; 175 occupied by their owners, 25 by tenants,
with a total valuation of the houses set at $71,614.00. The land,
totaling 9,544 acres, was valued at $265,439.00 for a total
valuation of $337,053.00. It appears that even for those days
this was an extremely low valuation and the percentage used must
have been very small. The following names, estates and valuations
were taken from the Books of the Assessors who were appointed
under an Act of the Congress of the United States passed in 1798,
levying a direct tax upon the country of $2,000,000. Property
exempted by state laws were not to be assessed, nor were
dwelling-houses of a valuation of less than $100. This action was
taken on October 1, 1798.
The following list includes only those who were believed to be
residents of the old Upper Falls village. It does not appear to
this writer to be complete as, for example, it does not include
any Ellis properties thought to have been in existence at that
time. Because of the very low percentage of valuation used, there
may have been other houses in the village which are not included
as they have been valued at less than $100.
Kenrick, John, Jr.
the site of Otis Pettee's mansion, "Sunnyside"
Examination of the list of those buried in the old Upper
Falls-Oak Hill cemetery (South Burial Ground) does not reveal
many names of persons known to have resided in Upper Falls prior
to 1800. This ancient burying ground, laid out in 1802 near the
junction of Winchester, Dedham and Needham Streets, is the oldest
non-sectarian cemetery in the city. It was established as a
result of a meeting of the residents of the south side of Newton
held June 21, 1802 to consider the matter of laying out a new
cemetery. Edward Mitchell, Ebenezer Cheney and Jeremiah Wiswall,
Jr. were chosen as a committee to purchase a piece of land for
that purpose. As a result, it was decided to purchase
three-quarters of an acre from Captain David Richardson near the
corner of the Dedham and Sherburne roads. Part of the land was
divided into 29 equal lots for family burial places for the
original proprietors and the names such as Bixby, Bartlett,
Barney, Cheney, Elliot, Hall, Kenrick, Mitchell, Parker,
Richards, Richardson, Stone, Winchester and Wiswall include many
of the early Upper Falls residents. A complete list of those
buried in the old cemetery is on file in the Jackson Homestead.
In 1883 the proprietors sold their property to the city, but
reserved right to bury their dead in their respective family lots
according to the original plan. About the same time, Amasa
Winchester gave the city about three-quarters of an acre for the
purpose of enlarging the cemetery, extending 60 feet on the west
line and 20 feet on the north line adjoining. As a result of this
addition the cemetery now contains one acre and a half.
Of the approximately 350 persons buried there, about 100 of
them were born in the eighteenth century. As the creation of this
cemetery was a joint venture of Upper Falls and Oak Hill
residents in 1802, we are including here only the names of those
whom we believe were Upper Falls residents and who could have
been living here in the 1700s:
|Alden, Betsy (wife of
Bacon, Polly (wife of Silas)
Baker, Mary (Mrs) "Died in Newton U. Falls"
Barney, Sukey (wife of Joseph)
Hartlett, Ann R. (Mrs)
Boynton, Betsy (wife of Richard)
Cheever, Lucy (wife of Lyman)
Cheney, Martha (widow)
Crackbon, Hannah (Daughter Jos. 6, Abigail Crackbon)
Davenport, Nehitable (Mrs) wife of Benj
Davenport, Priscilla P.
Farnum, Ezra M.
Farnum, Susan (wife of Ezra)
Fogg, Elizabeth (Mrs)
Garfield, Mary (Mrs)
Garfield, Hepsibath (Miss)
Garfield, Rebeckah (Miss)
Giles - - "Our Mother"
Goodnough, Phineas "Born in Charlton, died in
Goodnough, Sarah R.(widow) b. in Sutton
Hayward, Sarah R."Wife of Claudius D.
Born in Gilsum, N.H. Died in Newton U. Falls"
Hill, Betsey (wife of Calvin Hill)
Hurd, Elizabeth (wife of John)
Jameson, Eliza (Miss)
Jewett, Dorcas A. (Mrs)
Kenrick, Elizabeth (wife of Caleb)
Keyes, Deacon Isaac
Keyes, Abigail (wife of Isaac)
McFarland, Eliza (Mrs) (wife of Walter McFarland)
McFarland, Betsy (Mrs) (wife of Walter McFarland)
Parker, Mary (Mrs)
Partridge, Eunice (Mrs) (wife of Harding Partridge)
Pierce, Koigail (wife of Amos Pierce)
Priest, Sarah (widow)
Scott, Hannah (wife of David)
Sturtevant, Martin P.
Williams, Ellis (wife of Silas Williams)
Williams, Pamela B. "Died at Lowell, Mass."
Williston or Giles "Our Mother"
|Salmon Barney & Aaron
Jonathan & Jonathan Jr. Bixby
Aaron &. Ebenezer Cheney
Edward Mitchell & Jeremiah Wiswall, Jr
Many of the headstones placed in the cemetery have
disappeared, been buried or broken, and in many cases the names
on some stones have become indistinguishable through time.
General Simon Elliot was one of the original proprietors of the
cemetery but his name was not found on the list of those who are
buried there. It might be noted here that we found one surprising
feature of this cemetery in that the tombs and a great majority
of the headstones all face away from Winchester Street on which
the main gate is now located even though this street (then known
as the Dedham Road) was in existence at the time it was laid out.
At that time, however, (1802) Boylston Street did not exist and
all travel to the fast growing villages of Upper and Lower Falls
came up over what is now Centre Street, swung westward on Cook
Street (now known as Curtis-Ramsdell, a split street) and then
divided at the junction of what is no>r Elliot and Woodward
streets; Upper Falls travelers using Elliot and the others,
Woodward. Therefore, Cook being the busier and more important
street, the cemetery probably was laid out facing this road. A
right-of-way leading from Cook Street to the cemetery must have
existed at one time. Also, the Southwest District school was
located in the area along with two taverns, Mitchell's on the
Dedham Road (at the present junction of Centre and Boylston) and
Bacon's at the junction of the present Elliot and Woodward
For several years following the Civil War, the graves of that
war's veterans were decorated by G.A.R. Post 62 as indicated by
these early newspaper accounts. Following are some excerpts:
May 29, 1869: SOLDIERS GRAVES - Delegations of
Post 62, G.A.R., of this town, will visit the Cemetery at Newton
Lower Falls, at half past eleven A.M., today, for the purpose of
decorating the Soldier's Graves, and the ground at the Upper
Falls at noon for a similar purpose.
An earlier item of June 6, 1868 (in reference to a list of
soldiers killed in the Civil War)
|"In addition to the list already
given, one of the soldiers of the late war was buried at
the Newton Upper Falls Cemetery but we have mislaid the
letter containing his name."
Possibly this is in reference to the same person found in this
item from the same paper, the Newton Journal, dated June 20,
Another Dead Soldier - In addition to the list of soldiers
attached to the roll of Newton, who lost their lives during the
late struggle, already published, the remains of Edward Cornish,
a member of a New York Regiment in the Evergreen Cemetery, Upper
Falls. He has not a relative in this country, and perished in
defense of the land of his adoption. His grave was decorated with
flowers with others on the 30th."
A small mystery exists here as a check of the list of those
buried in the Winchester Street Cemetery does not reveal the name
of Edward Cornish. Also, we have seen a map that designated this
cemetery as the Evergreen Cemetery but it was originally called
the South Burial Ground. However, another news item appearing on
June 3, 1871 indicated that the graves decorated at the Upper
Falls Cemetery by G.A.R. Post 62 were those of Charles Brown,
Edward Cornish and William Fell. Again, of these three men only
the name of Sergeant C.S. Brown, Co. F, 1st Massachusetts
Infantry appears on the list of the persons buried in the Upper
Falls cemetery. A deceased soldier's name found on the list but
not included in the news item was that of C. H. Duvall, Company
H, 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry.
Revolutionary War Veterans' graves (including the tomb of
Jonathan Bixby) were indicated by iron markers bearing the
legend: "Revolutionary Soldier - 1777-1783, Erected by Lydia
Partridge Whiting Chapter, D.A.R."
No attempt has been made in this history to give a complete
record of the part the people of Newton Upper Falls played in the
wars that have plagued our nation since it was founded. No doubt
a complete volume could be written of their contribution from the
opening shot of the Revolution to the last lingering echoes of
the recent struggle in Viet Nam. However, we do include this
record of one tribute the people of the village paid to those who
served and who gave their lives for their country. This is from
the records of the Newton Upper Falls Improvement Association:
DEDICATION OF MEMORIAL TABLET
Saturday, June 11, 1922
On the above date the Memorial Tablet bearing the
names of the soldiers who served in the World War was
dedicated. The monument which is the gift of the former
Athletic Club (of which many of the soldiers were
members) and the Improvement Society, stands on the lawn
of the Emerson School.
Appropriate exercises had been arranged but were very
much upset by the terrible storm and tempest which broke
just as Gen. Clarence R. Edwards, the speaker of the
afternoon, arrived. The Newton Constabulary Band
furnished music as the people numbering about 1500 were
gathering. The unveiling was by little Evelyn and Della
Fisher whose uncle, Wallace Fisher, fell on the field of
Mayor Childs accepted the monument for the city. Owing
to the storm only about a third of the people could hear
Gen. Edwards fine address which was given in the Moving
The remainder of the company sought shelter in Emerson
School Building and the Reading Room. The following
formed the committee of arrangements.
Mr. A. D. Colby, Chairman Mr. James Gormerly Miss E.
W. Sabin Mr. Daniel Crowley Margaret Sullivan Mr. Walter
Mr. John Temperley
(The above was recorded by Miss Ethel W. Sabin,
Secretary of the Association)
Out of reluctance to eliminate any anecdotes concerning early
eighteenth century episodes in John Winslow's life, we feel that
this is as good a place as any to add this one.
Barely three generations from the end of the Revolutionary War
and the birth of the nation, John and his friends no doubt were
still basking in the glow of its achievements. Nearby Lexington,
Concord and Bunker Hill were fast becoming shrines and these
scenes of triumphs and exciting action were still fresh in the
memories of its aging survivors. John recalls one of these local
|"There was one character of a
different sort who interested the village boys very much.
He was known as 'Daddy' Thwing and was a very old
man...and lived near what was known as the South Cemetery
(South Burial Ground, referred to earlier in the
chapter), not far from Deacon Cook's wheelwright shop. I
remember him well. He was a soldier of the Revolution and
was fond of telling the boys of the battle of Bunker
Hill, in which, as he said, he took a valiant part.
he would stand by the road side on a summer day,
protected by the shade of some tree, resting on his cane,
looking very, very old, and tell us of Washington, whom
he saw of course, and of the battles he was in, and how
the soldiers suffered from the heat and cold, or for the
want of rations, it would make our young blood hot with
Copyright 1997, 1998 Kenneth W. Newcomb and The Friends of
Hemlock Gorge. All rights reserved. This page last modified
October 8, 1998.
To the Next Chapter,
"Merchants" | To the Previous Chapter,
"Public Service Buildings" | To the Table of Contents
Back to the Friends' Home Page